O.K. I think this is going to be the last post on Twitter for a little while. However, I think a few words are in order about creating Public vs Private lists. If you want to learn more about creating lists see my last post here.
So we’re creating some lists and now we have to decide are the lists going to be public or private. Here are some things to consider when making your choice.
- Most people appreciate being added to a public list.
- Great for exposure as other people can subscribe to the list.
- As others subscribe it’s a great way to network and make new contacts with your fellow industry peers.
- Good way to keep an eye on competitors and check in on them once in awhile.
- Maybe you want to protect your content source from others. Ie: vendors, sub contractors, content creators you use, etc., etc.,
- It may be sensitive information you don’t want to share. Ie: Political or religious groups you follow, material of an adult nature, people who post off color jokes, etc., etc.,
These are just a few things to think about when deciding whether a list should be public or private. Another consideration to private lists is maybe setting up a second account for things you may not want to share with your followers, potential sales leads, and clients.
What ever you decide, I’m sure you can agree that lists are a great way to organize your content, add value to your twitter account, create additional exposure for you, and give prospects another good reason to follow you.